Most people take in enough vitamin C, but many more have a low intake of zinc, particularly women and children. Zinc is involved in the development and functioning of the body’s infection-fighting white blood cells and therefore of utmost importance to fight colds and flu. Adults need about 8-12mg of zinc a day.
Apart from Vitamin C and Zinc, you should also eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables as they are high in anti-oxidants. Keep in mind that the brighter the vegetables and fruits are, the better they are likely to be for you.
There are a number of foods that are crucial for optimal immune system functioning:
- Lean beef is rich in zinc.
- Kiwifruit contains your entire daily requirement of vitamin C.
- Broccoli is exceptionally high in antioxidants.
- Carrots contains the antioxidant beta carotene.
- Red capsicum is a great source of vitamin C.
- Green tea is a well-known and very powerful antioxidant.
- Oranges contains your entire daily requirement of vitamin C.
- Mushrooms are a rich source of antioxidants.
- Oysters are exceptionally high in zinc and iodine.
- Berries are packed with antioxidants.